Monday, May 19, 2008

A Beautiful Day In The...




Last weekend I had the pleasure of attending the debut of Sunshine Bear and the release of a new EP from the dependable El Paso Hot Button.


But Saturday The Neighborhood made a permanent imprint on my musical consciousness. I rocked myself sweaty during their set.



I can say they are the most exciting band to watch in Oklahoma right now, and, from what I hear, Tyson Meade (DJ extraordinaire and former Chainsaw Kitten) thinks the same. He was gushing over a recent Neighborhood performance (seen here at Norman music festival/photo by Evan French, stolen off Facebook by Danny Marroquin).



Matt Duckworth's drums remind me of Death from Above 1979 in its different intensities and rhythms. The interplay between band mates is great. Phil Rice's vocals are sterling. The 3 piece manage to keep the sound slim enough to where you can enjoy each element, much the same way Vampire Weekend (who opened for The Neighborhood) and The Strokes command attention on first listen. Those bands have a sound that blew up fast, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the same happen with these guys.



Saturday they busted out The White Stripes "When I Hear My Name" and I almost rocked my head off. Their album Our Voices Choked with Fireworks is good, but the live show is better.


So if you get the chance to see these guys, go see them before they break out. I know I will again.

No comments: