Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Blowing in the Wind

My attitude toward alternative energies has always been Yay, let's do it. Just a progressive kneejerk reaction, that is to say.

What the picture of this story alone makes clear is that it'll be in part a fight/negotiation with property owners to get wind energy turbines built. We see them now mostly in remote areas (a la Weatherford). But think of this picture and these kids who are trying to swim in a pool. Are these space age looking things blowing all the water out ? Having these near a home must be a big distratction.

Differing state electrical rates and policies are also hindrances in a national schemed grid.

This story gets into the challenges that face the wind energy alternative plans that T. Boone Pickens has been advocating lately.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/27/business/27grid.html?hp

1 comment:

glaber said...

Danny,
I heard T Boone interviewed on NPR recently. He was one of the guys who funded the Swift Boat attack on Kerry. I don't know much about him, but that latter stunt was pretty despicable.
By the way, I did realize that the Cork story was you after reading a few more entries on the blog. I see you were lucky enough to spend a good bit of time in Ireland. I'd like to go there for a while. I hope I won't be disappointed.
The Irish I have met here have been for the most part musicians and (therefore?) pretty good people to know. I am aware though that there obnoxious people in any ethnic group. I have to say I love their music.
I'll try to mail you a burned sea chanties CD. Wayne