Monday, June 16, 2008

Queer Folk




Last week the Gazette ran two of my musicological adventures. I thought the interview with snarky, rude punk rock veterans The Queers was a good one and not very punk at all in that needle in your nose punch in the nose way. I caught Joe Queer on the e-mail shortly after watching a Ramones documentary. It brought back memories of all the fine people I knew in high school who got a motivational boost from Joey, Dee, Johnny and the gang. And it sounds like Joe Queer is just as indebted.



Interview with Joe Queer of The Queers
For The Oklahoma Gazette

How true is the song "Hi Mom it's me?" Despite the story of the lyrics, what does your mom think of your work?

Haha she doesn't think much of the band mainly cause of the name. When she saw us open for The Ramones once I dedicated the song to her.


Have you seen The Ramones documentary End of the Century? The film shows the impact the band had not just on big time musicians like Thurston Moore and Kirk Hammet of Metallica but on pissed off kids in South America and all over the world. And they really touched kids with three chord songs. They showed that any one could do it. And if you are young and self conscious, they were the band that gave a feeling of encouragement and self respect (that girls, drinking, drugs and old music).

Yeah I heard The Ramones and a light went off and I saw my path in life. They taught me so many important things-question things,don't take yourself too seriously,be able to laugh at yourself. They touched many kids. Dave our bassist and I toured Europe and China playing with Marky Ramone last year which was a thrill for both of us. Great guy.


Was there a time in your life when you had an epiphany of sorts, whether it was the Ramones or another band, where you realized you could write songs with your friends and connect to a wide audience with similar disgusts, crushes, life experiences, etc.?

Yeah-I had sent Joey Ramone and cassette tape with 4 songs on it around 1986 or '87. About 3 weeks later I got backstage at a Ramones' show and went up to him and told him I was from The Queers-he immediately told me he loved "Love Love Love" and "Goodbye California"-2 songs on our Grow Up album. He said he wanted to cover "Love Love Love" and that it was a great song. Right then I thought maybe I could do music if he believed in me. Really meant so much to me.

Are love songs (like I Think She's Starting to Like Me) the most fun to write?

Definitely. I wish I could play all those poppy songs all the time instead of the fast shit.
You've had a lot of different band mates. Did you ever find new members on tour? Was it easy to assimilate new guys into the band after one would leave?
We never added anyone new in the middle of a tour. Kicked a few people out and had a few fly in but they were all part of our 'family' and had played with us before. New guys bring enthusiasm and a new dynamic to the band when they come on board. We have a pretty set lineup again with Matt Drastic and Dangerous Dave on drums and bass respectively. We recorded one of our greatest albums-Pleasant Screams-together and we'll do a new album later this year.

Have you always been the main songwriter? Who (if there is one) ended up being a favorite songwriting partner?

Yeah I write most of the songs though I love writing with others. My faves are definitely Ben Weasel and Lisa Marr. We have come up with some great stuff.

What made you jump to the homey label Asian Man to re release some of the older records?


Well Lookout was going out of business and we needed to get the albums out of there. Mike Park had done the Screeching Weasel reissues so we went with him. Great label. Runs it out of his garage and always pays the bands on time.

Are the songs coming to you just as easy these days?

No I am on the down side of the hill. I am more into opening a recording studio in NH after tour and starting to produce bands. That's what gets me out of bed in the morning. We'll do a great album though this year. I am starting to get it together.

How are the fans on your most recent tour? Is it a good mix of older fans and newer ones? Are they just as crazy?

Yeah lots of new young kids and some old ones. Weird mix this tour.



What would you say is the single ( or top 3) biggest lesson (s) you've playing in a rock band since 1982?


I wanted to get laid and travel the world and do drugs and drink all the time and make money etc etc........but the real reason I have kept playing is cause something deep inside me told me to take that path to learn those lessons in life that I needed to learn. I haven't regretted a thing. Anyone can take the safe path and make their car payments on time and live that unfulfilling slothful life-never taking any chances and having a 2 week vacation once a year and working with assholes......that shit is all cool but not for me. So here I am and still wondering what's around the bend in the river as far as what life has in store for me and loving it. Still excited to get out of bed every day.

No comments: