Monday, June 2, 2008

Wolf at the Door


The new Wolf Parade is epic, a complete departure from Apologies to Queen Mary. I haven't even begun to decipher the lyrics, as they are shrouded in fuzz and wacky guitar play. But there is a lot in there about the radio, radio (which I definitely miss).

But none of the guitar play is wacky, this one traverses dance rock, casio epiphanies, ritualistic chanting and pop hooks. The closer Kissing a Beehive I never would've expected and all 11 minutes is great. It doesn't feel like they are noodling but walking a taut, long tight rope. For me this is the album to beat this year.

The album comes out soon. For now I recommend Spencer with the Sunset Rubdowners in London for these neat Black Cab Sessions.

http://www.blackcabsessions.com/sessions.php?id=1211923942&sort=chronological#

Wolf Parade will be in Dallas July 24 and Austin in July 25. I may hit both of them.

Ah, back to work...

No comments: